NEWS
US Lifts 12-Year Security Restriction on Nigerian-Bound Vessels
The United States Coast Guard (USCG) has lifted the Condition of Entry (CoE) imposed on vessels arriving in the United States from Nigeria, bringing an end to a 12-year regime of enhanced security requirements for ships that had called at designated Nigerian ports.
The development marks a significant boost for Nigeria’s maritime industry and is expected to strengthen the country’s reputation as a secure and competitive destination for international shipping.
The Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Dr. Adegboyega Oyetola, announced the lifting of the restriction, describing it as a major milestone in Nigeria’s sustained efforts to improve maritime security, strengthen port operations and enhance the country’s standing in the global maritime sector.
The Condition of Entry, which came into effect on June 25, 2014, required vessels destined for the United States that had called at designated Nigerian ports within their previous five port calls to undergo additional security measures and enhanced scrutiny before entering U.S. waters.
The restriction had remained in place for more than a decade, placing additional security obligations on shipping operators and highlighting concerns over the implementation of international maritime security standards at Nigerian ports.
However, according to Oyetola, sustained reforms and closer collaboration among key stakeholders have now resulted in significant improvements in Nigeria’s maritime security framework.
He attributed the lifting of the restriction to coordinated efforts by the Federal Ministry of Marine and Blue Economy, through the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), alongside other government agencies, port and terminal operators, shipping companies and maritime stakeholders.
The efforts focused on strengthening security procedures, addressing gaps identified by international assessors and ensuring that Nigerian ports and facilities complied with internationally recognised maritime security standards.
A major part of the process involved a series of comprehensive assessments conducted by the USCG over the past two years.
The assessments, carried out in March and April 2024, March 2025 and April 2026, examined Nigeria’s national maritime security framework as well as security arrangements at its port facilities.
Oyetola said the assessments showed substantial progress in Nigeria’s maritime security performance and implementation of the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code.
The progress ultimately paved the way for the United States to remove the additional security restrictions imposed on vessels that had previously called at Nigerian ports.
“The lifting of the Condition of Entry is a major milestone for Nigeria’s maritime sector. It is a strong affirmation of the progress we have made in strengthening maritime security and implementing the ISPS Code across our ports and facilities,” Oyetola said.
The minister stressed that the development should not be viewed as the end of Nigeria’s maritime security reforms, but as an opportunity to consolidate the gains already recorded and maintain international confidence in the country’s ports.
“We are committed to sustaining this momentum and ensuring that Nigeria remains a safe, secure and competitive destination for international shipping,” he said.
Oyetola also commended the NIMASA Director-General, Dr. Dayo Mobereola, and his team for their role in achieving the milestone.
He said the development demonstrated the importance of effective regulation, sustained investment in maritime security and collaboration among government institutions and private-sector operators.
The lifting of the Condition of Entry is expected to have broader implications for Nigeria’s maritime economy, particularly by improving confidence among international shipping operators and reinforcing the credibility of Nigerian ports within the global maritime system.
For a country seeking to maximise the economic potential of its maritime and blue economy sector, the removal of the 12-year restriction represents a significant step towards positioning Nigerian ports for greater international competitiveness and increased participation in global shipping.
