NEWS
Five Americans, Ecuador Intelligence Chief Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash
Five American citizens and Ecuador’s Director General of Intelligence, Michele Sensi-Contugi, were among seven people killed when a helicopter crashed near Mount Ololokwe in central Kenya on Wednesday, August 19.
The tragic incident occurred on Wednesday morning, with the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority confirming that seven people were aboard the aircraft when it went down in the mountainous region.
The helicopter was reportedly carrying guests who had booked an excursion through luxury safari operator &Beyond. Lady Lori Helicopters, the company operating the aircraft, confirmed that the helicopter was involved in the fatal accident, although the exact cause of the crash remains unknown.
Among the victims was Sensi-Contugi, Ecuador’s intelligence chief, who was travelling with his wife, Stephany Sensi, a fashion designer.
Ecuadorian state media reported that both died in the crash, sending shockwaves through the country’s political and security establishment.
José Suárez, an executive with US Spanish-language television network Telemundo, was also confirmed to be among those who lost their lives in the accident.
Ecuador’s presidential office expressed condolences to the family of Sensi-Contugi in an official statement issued on Wednesday afternoon, as authorities in both countries began responding to the tragedy.
The United States government also confirmed the deaths of its five citizens and said it was working with Kenyan authorities to provide assistance to the victims’ families.
“The US Embassy is in touch with local authorities and is providing consular assistance.
“We extend our deepest condolences to the families and loved ones on their loss,” a U.S. State Department spokesperson said, confirming the deaths of the five American citizens.
Footage shared on social media showed thick smoke rising from the rugged terrain near the base of Mount Ololokwe following the crash. The difficult landscape presented a major challenge for rescuers attempting to reach the wreckage and recover the victims.
The Kenya Red Cross said search and recovery operations were immediately launched at the crash site. However, emergency personnel faced significant obstacles due to the challenging terrain and an active fire burning in the area where the helicopter came down.
Additional emergency teams were dispatched from Isiolo to strengthen the recovery operation and support personnel already working at the scene.
Civil aviation officials said the aircraft was a Eurocopter EC130 B4 and had been travelling from the Loisaba Wildlife Conservancy towards the Ewaso Ngiro River when the accident occurred.
The EC130 B4 is a single-engine helicopter developed by Eurocopter and manufactured by Airbus Helicopters. The aircraft has a maximum speed of approximately 178 mph (286 km/h) and is generally configured to carry between five and seven passengers in addition to one pilot.
The crash has raised fresh concerns over aviation safety in Kenya’s popular wildlife tourism sector, where helicopters are frequently used to transport visitors across remote conservancies and safari destinations.
Kenya’s Ministry of Transport has since launched an official investigation into the accident. Investigators are expected to examine the condition of the aircraft, flight records, weather conditions, operational procedures and other factors that could have contributed to the crash.
Authorities are yet to establish what caused the helicopter to go down, while recovery efforts and investigations continue at the remote crash site.
