Connect with us

NEWS

“NAVAL OFFICER IN VIRAL CLASH WITH FCT MINISTER WIKE WILL NOT FACE ANY DISCIPLINARY ACTION” — DEFENCE MINISTER, MATAWALLE CLEARS THE AIR, SAYS OFFICER ACTED PROFESSIONALLY AND UNDER ORDERS

Published

on

Spread the love

In a bid to quell growing public speculation, the Minister of State for Defence, Bello Matawalle, has firmly stated that Lieutenant Ahmad Yerima, the naval officer who appeared in a heated confrontation with the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, “will not face any disciplinary action.”

 

Matawalle made this known during an interview with DCL Hausa, addressing the widespread viral video that sparked debates across the country over whether the young officer would be sanctioned for standing his ground during the tense encounter.

 

The confrontation occurred during Wike’s visit to a disputed plot of land in the Gaduwa District of Abuja, where the FCT Minister was seen in a brisk verbal exchange with Lieutenant Yerima. Despite the high tension, the officer maintained a respectful posture while insisting on carrying out his assigned duties.

 

According to reports, Wike had arrived at Plot 1946 on Monday, alleging that military personnel were obstructing officials from the FCT Department of Development Control from enforcing an existing stop-work order. The land in question is reportedly linked to former Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Awwal Zubairu Gambo (rtd). Soldiers stationed at the location barred Wike from gaining access to the site, leading to the heated exchange. Wike later maintained that the developers lacked the necessary documents or legal approvals to build on the land.

 

Reacting to the incident, Matawalle insisted the confrontation was unnecessary and could have been avoided if due protocol had been followed.

 

“The minister should not have confronted him. Lieutenant Yerima was acting on orders. If Wike had any concerns, he should have spoken to his superiors or to me directly since I oversee naval affairs,” Matawalle said.

 

He applauded the officer’s restraint and comportment, noting that Yerima’s actions reflected discipline and adherence to military ethics.

 

“You can clearly see that he was respectful while standing his ground. As far as we are concerned, he did not break any law or military regulation,” he added.

 

The Defence Minister further revealed that the Chief of Naval Staff has already launched an investigation into the ownership and authorization surrounding the controversial land. He also clarified that his office has not received any formal petition or complaint from the FCT Minister regarding the matter.

 

“This whole situation was avoidable. Before the minister went there, he had already spoken with the Chief of Defence Staff and the Chief of Naval Staff, who assured him that the matter would be looked into,” Matawalle said.

 

With tensions easing and an official investigation underway, the Defence Ministry has emphasised that procedural channels remain the appropriate route for resolving such conflicts rather than public confrontations.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *