Connect with us

NEWS

EVERYWHERE GO FIRST BLUR: U.S. Military Drafts Three-Tier War Plans for Possible Action in Nigeria After Trump’s Directive Over Alleged Christian Killings

Published

on

Spread the love

The United States military has drawn up an array of contingency plans for potential military intervention in Nigeria, following a direct order from President Donald Trump, amid escalating tensions over alleged persecution of Christians in the West African country.

 

According to a New York Times report published on Wednesday, the U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) has submitted a comprehensive set of operational options to the Department of War at the behest of Secretary Pete Hegseth.

 

The move follows Trump’s accusations that the Nigerian government has permitted the “mass slaughter” of Christians, a claim fiercely denied by Nigerian officials but one that has triggered heated debates in Washington and Abuja alike.

 

Insiders familiar with the development told the New York Times that the military options submitted by AFRICOM are divided into three escalating levels of engagement, heavy, medium, and light, each designed to give Washington flexibility in managing the scale and intensity of any potential U.S. operation in Nigeria.

 

The report revealed that the “heavy option” represents the most forceful response, involving the deployment of an aircraft carrier strike group to the Gulf of Guinea, positioned off Nigeria’s southern coast. From there, fighter jets and long-range bombers could be used to strike deep targets inside northern Nigeria, where militant insurgent groups are active.

 

The “medium option”, meanwhile, would rely on drone warfare, deploying Predator and Reaper drones to strike militant camps, bases, convoys, and vehicles in northern Nigeria. The drones, capable of loitering for hours before attacking, would depend heavily on U.S. intelligence operations to establish precise “patterns of life” for effective targeting.

 

For the “light option”, AFRICOM reportedly proposed partner-enabled operations where U.S. military advisers and the State Department would work closely with Nigerian security forces to target Boko Haram and other Islamist insurgent networks known for bombings, kidnappings, and mass killings of civilians.

 

Officials told the New York Times that the core objective of all three plans is to neutralize Islamist militants, protect Christian populations, and end the protracted insurgency that has plagued northern Nigeria for decades.

 

Despite the ambitious planning, serious logistical and geopolitical concerns have surfaced.

 

“But that option comes with its own issues, not least being that the U.S. military in August vacated its two nearest drone bases, in Agadez and Niamey, both in neighboring Niger. Russian forces now occupy those bases,” the New York Times reported.

 

This development leaves Washington with limited operational footholds in West Africa, complicating potential air operations or ground support missions against militant groups in Nigeria.

 

Last week, President Trump escalated tensions by threatening direct U.S. military action against Nigeria, accusing President Bola Tinubu’s administration of turning a blind eye to what he termed the “mass slaughter of Christians.”

 

In the same breath, Trump redesignated Nigeria as a “Country of Particular Concern” (CPC) under U.S. law, a move that effectively suspended arms sales and technical military support to the country.

 

This followed months of pressure from right-wing lawmakers in Washington, who have lobbied the administration to impose sanctions on Nigeria for alleged violations of religious freedom and persecution of Christians.

 

Despite strong denials from Nigerian authorities, Trump maintained a combative stance, warning that U.S. action could be “fast, vicious, and sweet.”

 

“Christianity is facing an existential threat in Nigeria. The United States cannot stand by while such atrocities are happening there, and in numerous other countries.

 

“We stand ready, willing, and able to save our Great Christian Population around the World,” Trump declared.

 

While the U.S. Department of War reviews the proposed operational strategies, policymakers and analysts are raising alarm over the consequences of any unilateral military action. Critics argue that intervention could destabilize an already fragile region, inflame anti-American sentiments, and complicate relations with one of Africa’s largest democracies.

 

Meanwhile, Nigeria continues to battle internal insecurity, marked by terrorism, banditry, herder-farmer clashes, and communal conflicts, crises that have fueled humanitarian concerns but remain deeply complex and multidimensional.

 

In Washington, U.S. House Appropriations leaders have praised Trump’s move, describing Nigeria as “the most dangerous nation on Earth to follow Christ” and insisting that religious persecution will not be tolerated.

 

As diplomatic channels remain tense, the world watches closely with fears that a U.S. military strike on Nigerian soil could open a new chapter of geopolitical confrontation in West Africa, where global powers like Russia and China are increasingly asserting influence.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *