NEWS
FG Clarifies U.S Troop Presence in Nigeria, Says Deployment Limited to Intelligence Support and Training Amid Counter-Terrorism Partnership
The Federal Government has moved to calm growing public concerns over the presence of United States troops in Nigeria, firmly stating that the deployment is restricted to intelligence support and training, and does not involve combat operations.
The clarification followed an announcement on Tuesday by the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM), which confirmed that a small team of American military personnel had been deployed to Nigeria as part of strengthened cooperation in the fight against terrorism and insurgency.
Speaking in Dakar, Senegal, AFRICOM Commander, General Dagvin Anderson, said the deployment was carried out at Nigeria’s request and was strictly focused on intelligence assistance.
“Our partnership with Nigeria is a great example of a willing and capable ally that requested unique capabilities only the United States can provide,” Anderson said.
The announcement quickly generated public debate, with many Nigerians questioning the implications of foreign troops operating within the country and raising fears about national sovereignty.
In response, the Minister of Defence, Gen. Christopher Musa (retd.), addressed the issue in an interview with the BBC, stressing that the American personnel are not combat troops but a small advisory team supporting intelligence gathering and training initiatives for Nigerian forces.
Musa, however, declined to provide specific details regarding the number of personnel involved, their arrival date, deployment locations, or how long they are expected to remain in the country.
Security analysts note that the latest development builds on previous cooperation between Nigeria and international partners. Recall that on December 25, 2025, the US military, in collaboration with the Armed Forces of Nigeria, conducted air interdiction operations across several locations in the North-West and North-Central regions as part of renewed international efforts to combat terrorism and violent extremism.
Despite official assurances, the presence of American personnel has continued to spark intense public discourse, with some citizens expressing fears that foreign military involvement could undermine Nigeria’s sovereignty or signal external control over security operations.
Reacting to these concerns, the All Progressives Congress (APC) maintained that the cooperation between Nigeria and the United States is transparent, coordinated, and poses no threat to the country’s independence.
Speaking during an interview on ARISE Television on Wednesday, the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Felix Morka, said the partnership is solely aimed at defeating terrorism.
“What we know is that the US government and Nigerian authorities are working very closely to defeat terrorism in our country.
“Terrorism has brought immense pain and suffering to our people, with innocent citizens killed senselessly by these violent actors,” Morka said.
He further stated that President Bola Tinubu remains resolute in deploying every legitimate and lawful measure necessary to eliminate terrorist threats and restore peace and stability across Nigeria.
Addressing fears of foreign domination, Morka explained that such concerns usually arise when host countries are excluded from decision-making processes, which he emphasized is not the case in Nigeria’s engagement with the United States.
“That is not the case here. This is a coordinated effort between the Nigerian government and the United States, with both sides fully involved in all decisions,” he said.
According to him, all actions on the ground will strictly follow agreements jointly reached by both governments.
“Whatever is agreed at the table is what will be implemented,” Morka added, stressing that the protection of Nigerian lives and the total defeat of terrorist groups remain the overriding priorities of the collaboration.
The Federal Government’s position, alongside assurances from security partners and the ruling party, appears aimed at reinforcing public confidence that Nigeria retains full control of its security architecture while leveraging strategic international partnerships to confront the country’s complex security challenges.
